Monday 28 February 2011

MMM ~ Week 4 ~ Assignment

Week 4 of Mastering Manual Mode already, and we continue looking at Aperture Priority. This actually has been my preferred mode for the last 10 months or so (and I completely ignored everything else, leaving for example ISO always on automatic). Time to really start to learn how all the things work together!

The assignment was to take a series of pictures with different apertures. Well, to be exact, the assignment was to concentrate on the full stop aperture, i.e. f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4.0, f/5.6, f/8.0, f/11, f/16. But I just wanted to try out the whole range of my lovely 50mm 1.8 lens, including all the fractions in between, so I went through the whole range from 1.8 up till 22. I took these inside, in my living room, and in the late afternoon, so it was already quite a bit darkish, hence the long shutter speeds.


But I think this is such a lovely exercise (and one I've actually had wanted to do for quite some time). Putting them all side by side, it gives you a great overview of the depth for each aperture. I definitely want to do this again in different light conditions. It's something you can always get back to. And I now have the mosaic template as well :-).

I tried to upload this last night, but without success. I'm afraid the quality of the picture isn't very good (anymore), which is why it's rather small here. This is because, math genius that I am, my calculations for the mosaic ended up in a file that was so huge that even with saving it with jpeg quality 0 was still far too huge to be uploaded. But I found a simple online image compression tool which allowed me to finally upload it: http://reduction-image.com/. Ah well, another lesson learned... :-). And as to the template, I'm afraid I'll just have to bin it and start the whole work all over again... :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment