Wednesday 4 January 2012

A little bit of orange

I started working on a little painting on Monday, the last day of my Christmas break.  A new painting, the first in the new year ("new" is the January theme for both the Creative Every Day Challenge and Focus52, which I signed up for in order to try and keep up the creative habit more regularly. I hope to incorporate the themes a bit more creatively in the future...). I wanted to incorporate some orange, start working with that colour, as it is the colour for January in the Creative Colour Challenge (more about this, and my other projects/challenges for this year, later). I love textures and structure, building it up layer after layer on the canvas.


I quite like how it turned out so far. If it was a lager canvas, I might even be tempted to just leave it like this. But it's only a 24x30cm canvas, so the effect isn't quite the sames. And I have an idea in mind that I'd like to try out. Something keeping with the orange theme.


So this is only the background. And it's ready to be painted on to. But before I go on adding my little idea, I first have to do some sketches and exercises in my sketchbook. Try the idea out to get it right when adding it on to the canvas.


But first, I think I'll have a little tea break, if you don't mind. After all, there's no hurry :)

7 comments:

  1. You have created some beautiful texture there. Orange is not my favourite colour, but I love what you have done so far. I know what you mean about how size influences the design's look. You deserve your tea break....looking forward to the next step:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love that canvas so much as it is; I can't wait to see where you go from here. Good for you to take your time and try out some sketches first. I am always meaning to do that, but then become impatient and often it doesn't turn out at all like I'd planned in my head.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always time for tea. I'm sipping some right now. Terah from CED

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are doing the colour challenge as well... but more than anything I am now madly jealous of that beautiful teacup... love the textures and would be really really tempted to leave it as it is... it is just beautiful...xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're absolutely right - this works really well as a painting on its own, and would be terrific even bigger. Orange can be a tricky colour sometimes - if you get it wrong it can be almost painful on the eyes (I'm thinking of an old friend of mine and his orange trousers which he thought were fab!), but with some complementary colours it can add a lovely touch of warmth. Can't wait to see what you do with this now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. such YUMMY textures!! And i love the colours too.
    Found you via CED... oh, btw, those painted blueberries in your banner are great! Happy new year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those colors with that texture equals pure happiness! I just want to reach through the computer and touch it!

    ReplyDelete