Thursday 7 February 2013

TrainSketches || Blätterwald

Another page from my 'trainsketches' sketchbook, a 'forest of leaves'. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Just makes me want to go for a walk in the woods. Only that the woods here wouldn't be green, but white - it's been snowing for the last three days. Yay!


I do my little sketches mostly in the morning, because that train runs pretty smooth, it's usually dead quiet, and I have a compartment all for myself most of the time. A simple pencil drawing, then going over with a pen, and maybe adding a few details.


 Back home in the evening, I take half an hour or so to add some colour. My little trainsketches are helping me to get more familiar with my watercolours. I'm beginning to grow very very fond of them!


Usually, I add more details the following morning, back on the train again, using different pen widths and gel pens for a touch of white. I know that every traditional watercolourist would cringe at the pure thought of adding white to a watercolour painting, and especially something like a white gel pen, or any other pen, for that matter. But I'm not a traditional watercolourist, and have no ambition whatsoever to ever become one. All I want is to colour, and patterns, and textures, and happiness on paper.


So there we go. Doing this little sketches, and flipping through the pages of my little sketchbook, which is filling up quickly, makes me happy. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a journey! And don't worry about all that 'tradition' nonsense - you just do whatever you like (personally I love the results!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, could be a great wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete