Friday 9 October 2015

A wonderful holiday, and some hand drawings

I'm back from my holiday, and what a wonderful time we had! When I left two weeks ago, I expected it to be wet and miserable, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Almost two weeks of not a rain drop in sight, and more often than not, not a single cloud in the sky either. What a pleasant surprise. We made the best of it, exploring new places along the Dorset coast, re-visiting some old favourites, and even went up to London for a day. I was able to completely switch off and forget about everything. So much so, that I actually had to call my Mum to ask her to go to my home and look up the pin code for my banc card, as I couldn't for the life of me remember it. Completely gone. Unfortunately, after having returned back home on Tuesday, and back to work on Wednesday, the whole relaxing holiday feeling has already disappeared completely, and all the daily negative stuff, that I so successfully managed to forget about, has swept back in one single big wave.

But anyway. I took a sketchbook and some drawing materials with me (and visited the local art shop more than once). I took my sketchbook and pens with me a couple of times, but it was either too windy or we were too busy exploring for any sketching to be done. But I managed to do a few drawings some of the evenings, when I wasn't too exhausted (and a couple of watercolour sketches, which turned out so bad that no one will ever see them. Except N, who has already seen them, and wasn't impressed with them either). I've been wanting to practice some hand drawing, and with not much else on hand, that's what I did.


Of course I took loads of photos with my DSLR, and even some with my Polaroid SX-70, and I still have to go through them all. I'll probably post a few photo posts soon, but here's just a couple of shots, one from Brownsea Island, where we met some lovely red squirrels, and one from Charmouth, where I just couldn't get enough of the reflections in the low tide water on the beach.

Red Squirrel, Brownsea Island, Dorset
Charmouth Beach, West Dorset
As my happy holiday feeling quickly disappeared already the day after I got back from my holiday, I decided to keep the memories alive and fresh by posting the Polaroids I took over the next days. I have 30 photos, so it's going to be 30 days of happy holiday memories. I'll post them on Instagram and Twitter, and maybe Facebook too. Follow me, if you like (my new Twitter account is looking very sorry follower-wise, and I'm still waiting to finally reach the 100 likes milestone on my Facebook page). #30daysofholidaymemories.

I'm linking up again to the lovely Paint Party Friday. I'm afraid I posted my last post while I was already on holiday, and as I wasn't used to N's notebook/laptop with no mouse, I had to give up trying to visit and comment. But I hope to be better again this week.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful hand drawings and photos, glad you enjoyed your holidays. Happy PPF, Hugs, Valerie











    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaye, that photo of the squirrel is incredible!! I love it Do you know I don't think I've ever seen a red squirrel in real life - only the grey ones that have taken over and displaced the red ones all over Northern Ireland and Scotland for the most part. They're still lovely but this little guy - adorable! I'm glad the British weather played ball for you - we did have a lovely little Indian summer there for a week or two! Your hand sketches are really good - such a hard thing to draw but I think you've done these brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to 30 days of photos... and the coast line looks beautiful... I am a bit sad for you that it is over so quickly and it is back to the grind, but lovely that we get to see amazing work from you and lots of drawings like these hands... awesome skills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great hand drawings and thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos.
    Happy PPF ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous beach photo. I love seeing the clouds reflected in the low tide water! Nice sketches too! hands are so hard to do, but you seemed to have no problems at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great shot of that squirrel and that beach scene is gorgeous! I could never get enough beach time:) Great hand sketches. Glad you will relive those happy and peaceful holiday memories each day to chase away the negative ones upon your return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hands are so graceful and interesting to see. I also adore that little squirrel you caught with your camera! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some stunning photographs! And it's so nice to see an actual red squirral in your picture rather than a grey one. Your hand drawings are great too. I must get back into the habit of drawing. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great hands.... love the squirrel too... Glad it was such a wonderful holiday!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGosh the drawings are amazing. Each hand shows so much expression. Well done. Happy you had a good holiday and your photos are great as well.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ..was für herrliche Zeichnungen und tolle Fotos vom Urlaub!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would've sworn I commented on this post, but I can't see it.... Anyway, sounds like you really really relaxed on your vacation, even forgetting your pincode ;-) Isn't it sad how it always feels as if it never happened after you've come back home? Hands are very difficult to draw, and you did a great job here. LOVE that squirrel! And that coastline! No wonder you could relax over there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are fabulous drawings! Hands are tricky aren't they? Anyway, you visited at a very good time because the wet weather has finally kicked in! Your photo's are beautiful by the way! :0)

    ReplyDelete